Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

UGH and other tales of gluten free baking.

I have had it, friends.

The holidays are practically here.  I need to bake some cookies.  Except the last three things I've baked have been capital A Awful. With my family's annual cookie baking fest happening at my Grandma's house this weekend, I feel resigned to watching them bake delectable treats while I pout.  I'll help, mostly because I find baking cathartic if nothing else. But I need to figure out GF baking and FAST.  Not even because of the holidays.

There are few things I love more than surprising someone I love with freshly baked cookies.  I recently started tackling cupcakes to great success too.  All of this has halted come August when my celiac diagnosis was revealed.

I did have ONE attempted recipe turn out great.  But it was formulated specifically for the Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour Mix that I keep on hand. Is this the only way to do things?  I see baking recipes that literally have 4 or 5 different types of flour.  Hiiiii - I live in New York City.  I barely have space to store wheat flour, GF flour and xanthan gum, let alone 5 different types of flour.

What is a city celiac to do?

To keep things from being totally bleak, I give you the ONE recipe that turned out well.  Not so sticky it adhered itself to my food processor. Not drier than a dessert despite how much liquid I dump in. This recipe yielded some delicious cookies.  Icing recipe follows.

Bob's Red Mill GF Sugar Cookies: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=122
(for some reason the recipe won't copy/paste aaand I'm lazy.)

Perfect Sugar Cookie Icing:
(The amounts below should leave you a little extra making the above cookies.
For cupcakes or a cake - double it at least. More is less when it comes to frosting!)


  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar


  • 1/4 cup butter or shortening


  • 2 - 3 tablespoons milk or half and half


  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • food coloring if needed






  • Bust out your hand mixer and go to town. Voila.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment