Sometimes, I wake up on the weekend and know exactly what I want to eat. This morning, however, I wanted four different things that didn't make sense together. I wanted something that felt carb-y, something sweet, something savory, something crunchy... one of those mornings.
Doing my usual google dance for a good recipe using ingredients I have on hand, I found this awesome recipe for waffles, courtesy of 17 Recipes, which was the perfect base. I made some changes per my tastes and wanted some extra body to the waffles via the coconut flour to stand up to the savory filling. Which was still deeeelicious topped with some good maple syrup.
Happy hodge podge breakfasting to you. Maybe it IS possible to have it all... *cough* for breakfast.
Gluten Free/ Primal/ Paleo Waffles (makes 6 waffles)
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut oil (for sweet) or butter/ghee (for savory), melted
2 tablespoons ground flax meal
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 cup almond meal
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
for sweet waffles:
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar
1 tablespoon low sodium Adobo seasoning
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I like Organic Valley's Raw Milk Jack Cheese)
2 tablespoons of chives or green onions, finely diced
Preheat your waffle iron.
1. Separate egg yolks and whites into two bowls.
2. Add milk, almond meal, coconut flour, flax and a pinch of salt to bowl with egg yolks and combine.
3. Melt fat of choice and add to almond yolk mixture, stirring to combine well.
4. Beat egg yolks until very frothy or peaks form. Fold in 1/4 to 1/3 of egg whites into almond - yolk mixture at a time until all of the egg whites are integrated.
5. Add sweet or savory ingredients to mix.
Batter will be thick and appear somewhat mealy if you add in shredded cheese.
You can use refined coconut oil, melted butter or the fat of your choice that holds up to high heat for greasing. Using an1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop waffle batter into center of greased waffle iron. Cook until desired done-ness. Top with fruit, maple syrup, honey and/or butter of your choice.