Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

pancakes.

I can never find my pancake recipe. I have made pancakes since going GF at least a dozen times and yet, every time the craving strikes I end up spending half an hour trying to track down the recipe I liked after the million I read through before combining a few of my favorites.

I went through and read recipe after recipe. Searched my email. My hard drive. Nada. Then, darling boyfriend said "Don't you have the recipe on your blog?" I didn't. But I did have a grain free waffle recipe that was delicious and easy. Remembering the bisquick days of yore, I figured it couldn't be much of a stretch to turn one into the other.

Grain Free Coconut Pancakes (serves 4)


Ingredients

1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 - 1/2 cup water (as needed)
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil + more for greasing griddle
2 tablespoons ground flax meal
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 - 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (optional)
1 cup almond meal
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cream of tartar (optional - to help egg whites set up)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar (brown sugar is fine too)


Grab two bowls - one medium to large mixing bowl one medium to small.


Separate your eggs, putting egg whites in the smaller bowl and yolks in the larger. Set whites aside.


Stir egg yolks. Add vanilla and coconut milk. Stir some more.


Add flax, almond meal, coconut flour, shredded coconut (if using - adds a great flavor and sweetness but does make the texture a bit grainy), a pinch of salt, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar. Stir. The mixture should be pretty thick.


Whisk egg whites with a bit of cream of tartar until they are frothy and beginning to set up. If you can get them to peaks, that is bonus points but not really necessary. We just want to beat them enough to get some air and bubbles in throughout. Add 1/2 the egg whites to batter and fold in until just combined. Add the rest of the egg whites and combine well.


At this point we want the batter to be juuuuust pourable. If yours isn't pourable (mine was not), add a splash of water at a time until it reaches a point where it is loose and just pourable. Not as wet as traditional pancake recipes (or my pizza recipe, lolz) but pourable none the less.








Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil and heat.


Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop pancakes onto griddle.







Leave them alone for about 2 minutes, until half the bubbles formed in the pancakes are popping then FLIP with confidence. Cook for 2 more minutes and set aside, covering until you serve.








Dig. In.

No comments:

Post a Comment