I almost forgot about my Meatless Monday recipe pledge. But I remembered just in the nick of time. And simultaneously remembered this recipe, which I will be making in the very near future.
This recipe satisfies crunchy and creamy cravings while still filling you up with plenty of fiber (from the flax) and protein (from the quinoa). I'm actually attempting to make stuffed peppers using quinoa in a few minutes and may use that as next week's post if all goes according to hare brained plan of the day.
Green Quinoa Pie
3/4 cup quinoa
2 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 lb frozen spinach
4 tablespoons diced shallots
5 oz arugula
2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons flax meal
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup egg beaters
1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat small saucepan and add quinoa,
turning frequently to toast 2- 3 minutes.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups of water, lower heat to medium and cover. Stir
frequently, adding more water for ~ 15 minutes or until quinoa is
tender. When quinoa is cooked, preheat oven to 350.
3. While quinoa cooks, add frozen spinach to a hot pan with 2 tbls
water. Add shallots and cover, stirring frequently until shallots are
translucent and soft and spinach is thawed/cooked. Add spinach/quinoa
mixture to a strainer and squeeze remaining liquid out.
4. Heat pan and add arugula, stirring frequently to wilt evenly.
Remove after 3 - 5 minutes.
5. Add wilted arugula, spinach, cooked shallots and cheeses to
quinoa mixture, stirring to integrate.
6. Lightly whisk egg beaters until slightly fluffy. Add to
7. Put 1 tbls EVOO to 9 inch pie pan and put it in the oven to heat
for 5 minutes. Remove and add mixture, patting down.
8. Mix flax meal and parmesan in a bowl and sprinkle liberally over
the top of the pie, covering well. Press down.
9. Bake for 20 minutes. Drizzle last tbls of EVOO over top and bake
for another 20 minutes.
10. Chow down.