Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

I adapted this recipe from October's Cooking Light.  Theirs is for poblanos, which I am sure would be amazing, but I couldn't find any big enough to do the stuffing justice.  I also killed the bulgur for quinoa, which I have not used nearly enough lately.  

I don't know if you all have gotten the memo but stuffed peppers are totally trending.  And by totally I mean that one of my friends made them this week and another one verbalized a desire to after hearing about both of our delicious dinners. So hop on board.  This recipe should leave you with plenty of leftovers to get you meatless way beyond Monday.

I'm not sure that prior to making this I had ever made or eaten stuffed peppers.  But I will be eating them again, probably soon, thanks to the yum you will find below.

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

8 bell peppers, kept intact, tops cut off, deseeded
1 cup of quinoa
2 cups of vegetable broth
2 15oz cans of pinto beans
1 4oz can of green chilis, undrained
1 cup of chopped onion
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 oz goat cheese
2 tablespoons cumin
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1. Add two cups of vegetable broth to a medium saucepan.  When it begins to boil, add quinoa.  Cover and reduce to medium until quinoa is cooked, adding water if needed to soften further.
2. While quinoa cooks, prep peppers, chop onions, mince garlic etc.
3. Add oil to a large skillet.  Sautee onion for 3 minutes.  Add garlic.  Brown for 1 minute.  Add beans, chilis, cumin, tomatoes and lime juice and cook for at least 5 minutes, up to 10 until tomatoes and chilis are browning/blistering slightly.  Stir in cooked quinoa.
4. Divide quinoa/bean mixture among peppers evenly, layering with a few crumbles of goat cheese throughout.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until peppers are cooked through and blistering.
6.  Top with salsa, if desired.  Or two more chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup of red onion, cilantro and a dash or two of lime juice, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment